So, : I’m recovering well – so well in fact that I came my closest to date to winning here in Belgium last Sunday, finally ending up in 3rd place, but so close to taking the win.
The race was in Sint Kornelis Horebeke, which is a town close to my base here in Oudenaarde, : and is the home town of one of the team’s main sponsors, so it was an important one to do well in.
It was a good field but I was ‘on it’ from the start (really thought it was going to be my day!).
I got away early in a group of 11 or so, which had most of the big teams in there… Beveren 2000 with a couple of guys, Lotto, New Heebra, PWS, etc.
Cocquyt, Bracke, Vanhuffel and a few of the other hitters missed it but this one wasnt coming back.
It all worked well and I took a few primes.
I got away with 30km to go, not planned but took a prime and had a gap so continued to attack through the cobbled section that greeted us on each lap, but they pulled me back 8km later.
From then on the attacks came but was still feeling really good and went again on the last lap, taking a couple with me.
We had about 20 secs by the line.
Unfortunately (and I’m still kicking myself for it now), I messed up the sprint up by going too early.
I gapped them at first and thought it had worked but they got back on my wheel and that was my chance gone.
Disappointed not to win as I had done everything right until then and felt completely in control but considering how I was feeling even a week or so ago, it was good to be back on it and feeling strong again.
The following day our team had a run out in the Interclub competition.
This round of the series took place in Liedekerke and was 162km with a nice cobbled berg on each lap, so important as always to stay close to the front as much as possible.
Surprisingly, I felt pretty good again and was there or thereabouts in the moves from the start.
At one point I was in a break of around twenty riders and with the cars being moved behind us I thought it may have been the decisive move.
However with so many riders, there were too many unwilling to work and so it eventually got pulled back into the peloton.
A group of 14 riders did eventually get away which I wasnt part of , however I was able to clip off the front of the bunch with 20km to go and was joined by three other riders, where we dangled off the front with the peloton chasing us down all the way to the line. I
I led it out from the final corner trying to ensure we were not caught and deservingly we just managed to hold on out there (by seconds), with me taking 16th – but we certainly had to work for it.
Again all things considered not a bad result given the last few weeks, but I felt strong, enjoyed being competitive again and was unfortunate not to be in the final selection going for the win.
The two hottest days of the year so far, and two races that have got me firmly back on track… watch this space!
23/05/2010- Sint Kornelis Horebeke
1.12B – ind.reg.wedstr.(100-120 km) Elite z.c./U23
1. EISING TIJMEN WRV DE PEDDELAAR 02:35:00
2. DE JONGHE KEVIN WIELERGROEP BEVEREN 2000 VZW
3. PATTEN DANIEL ASFRA RACING TEAM
4. VAN HOECKE GIJS WIELERGROEP BEVEREN 2000 VZW :00:23
5. VAN BIERVLIET MATHIEU NEW HEEBRA-LOMBARDEN
6. DE GROOTE JEFFREY ISOREX CYCLING TEAM :00:34
7. FOUQUET KEVIN ROYAL CUREGHEM SPORTIF – BRUSSEL :00:41
8. VANSPEYBROECK TIM PWS EIJSSEN CYCLING TEAM :00:51
9. MINNE STIJN AN POST SEAN KELLY TEAM :00:57
10. VEJMELKA DANIEL COLBA-MERCURY-DOURPHONIE :01:10
11. LEGLEY MATTHIAS NEW HEEBRA-LOMBARDEN
12. SCHULZ PHILIP COLBA-MERCURY-DOURPHONIE
13. DE ZUTTER KRISTOF WIELERSPORTVER. ARTEVELDE VZW GENT :01:40
14. DE DECKER STEVEN FLEMISH CYCLING PROJECTS
15. BAEYENS TOMMY KEUKENS REDANT CYCLING TEAM
16. DONIE BIRGER SDC – ROGELLI CYCLING TEAM
17. POLNICKY JIRI SUNWEB-PROJOB CC
18. VANDAMME DAVY SDC – ROGELLI CYCLING TEAM
19. DEVAERE KEN JOHN SAEY CYCLING TEAM
20. LAUWEREYS GERTJAN ASFRA RACING TEAM
Elite 1.12 – eendagsw. Intercl. El.z.c./U23/BCP
1. GIAUX JEROME – PROFEL COLOSSI CT
2. ONGENA THOMAS – PROFEL COLOSSI CT
3. GUNS JURGEN – ROYAL CUREGHEM SPORTIF
4. VERELST DANNY – ROYAL CUREGHEM SPORTIF
5. SIMON JEAN-PAUL – PROFEL COLOSSI CT
6. VERMEIREN TOM – TERRA FOOTWEAR BICYCLE
7. VERMOOTE GEERT – NATIONALE MILITAIRE PLOEG
8. DE SCHEEMAEKER DAVY – PWS EIJSSEN CT
9. VANKERCKHOVEN JOCHEN – PWS EIJSSEN CT
10. BIERMANS GREGORY – SNAKE CYCLING TEAM
11. VAN DIJCK KEVIN – VAN GOETHEM PRORACE CT
12. VAN GUYSE JARNO – NE HEEBRA LOMBARDEN
13. VAN GOIDSENHOVEN KURT – VAN GOETHEM PRORACE CT
14. VERHAEYHE SANDER – NE HEEBRA LOMBARDEN
15. FOUBERT GLEN – VAN GOETHEM PRORACE CT
16. PATTEN DANIEL – ASFRA RACING TEAM
17. UYTTERSPROT DIETER – VAN EYCK SPORT
18. PENNE FREDERIK – SDC ROGELLI CT
19. STEVENS TIMOTHY – PWS EIJSSEN CT
20. CLAEYS KEVIN – PWS EIJSSEN CT
21. COCQUYT NICKY – NATIONALE MILITAIRE PLOEG
22. VAN DRIESSCHE KJELL – NE HEEBRA LOMBARDEN
23. DRIESEN TONY – ROYAL CUREGHEM SPORTIF
24. VAN ASBROECK TOM – MIXTAEM LOOK REDANT
25. NEVENS SVEN – ROYAL CUREGHEM SPORTIF
26. BEYENS YOERI – SNAKE CYCLING TEAM
27. GOOVAERTS TOM – TERRA FOOTWEAR BICYCLE
28. VANCRAEYNEST KEVIN – MIXTAEM LOOK REDANT
29. GREEN MATTHEW – VL TECHNICS ABUTRIEK CT
30. LEYSEN TOM – TERRA FOOTWEAR BICYCLE