Ciao! Five K from Como, 14.42 on Friday. It’s 13.5 degrees on the car computer but feels much warmer in the Lombardian sun.
Dave’s at the helm, we’ve been fed and I’ve got the Gazzetta on my lap – I’m having a “Giro flashback!”
“Domani favoriti Evans e Cunego,” says the Gazzetta.
- Evans – age 32, with 4th in ’04 & 6th in ’07 as his Falling Leaves credentials.
- Cunego – 28, winner in ’04, ’07 and ’08 – says it all!
- Kolobnev – 28, his Worlds silver makes him 3rd favourite.
- Vinokourov – 36, ‘always at the front,’ they say – and he’s 4th favourite.
- Gilbert? He’s flying, Coppa Sabatini, Paris-Tours, and yesterday – Piemonte.
Conventional wisdom is that the aces will save it for Lombardia; Cunego, Evans and the other favourites all finished in the bunch.
The digs in Como are sound, clean, bright and possessed of solid wi-fi (deep joy) – a shower and a shave and I’d almost forgotten I only had two hours sleep, last night.